10 Great Ways to Make Your Property More Appealing to Tenants
Good rental yields start with high demand. If numerous tenants want to move into your buy-to-let property, this pushes demand upwards – so it makes good business sense to make your property as desirable as possible.
This doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll have to spend a fortune. In fact, we recommend against forking out lots of cash at the start of your investment venture, particularly if you’re working to a tight budget. The good news is, there are plenty of easy ways you can boost your property’s appeal, without burning a hole in your wallet.
10 Ways to Easily (and Cheaply) Make Your Property More Appealing
- Tidy the front garden. It’s the first thing your prospective tenants will see when they view your property, so it’s important to make a good impression. Prune the shrubs, clean the path, wash the windows and re-paint the window ledges and door, if required.
- Make it safe. Tenants like to feel secure in their own home. Things like deadlocks on the door, safety catches on the windows, and good quality fire alarms will make a big difference.
- Get a dishwasher. Tenants value handy appliances like dishwashers, which means you can charge a bit extra in rent.
- Paint the walls (and don’t forget the ceilings). A lick of fresh paint is a cheap, simple way to totally update the feel of a room. Don’t avoid the ceilings though; a clean, white ceiling instantly makes the room feel brighter.
- Replace the light switches. Over time, light switches can get grimy. They’re cheap to replace, and instantly make a room look less dated.
- Get rid of old carpets. If possible, rip up old, threadbare carpets – leaving either the original floorboards exposed, or putting down some form of replacement flooring. This doesn’t have to be expensive – even a wood effect laminate looks better than a worn-out carpet.
- Clean the oven. It’s a simple (though not very pleasant) task – and it does make a difference!
- Replace old taps. You can easily update the bathroom by adding new fittings. Some new taps and a new showerhead can totally transform the space.
- Paint kitchen units. If you can’t afford a replacement kitchen, consider painting the cupboards. You may need to sand them down first (so the paint has something to ‘grip’ to), but this isn’t a difficult job. Choose a darker colour, as it won’t show the dirt so badly.
- Get a new shower curtain. Again, it’s a simple change to make, and costs virtually nothing. Even better, if you can get a glass shower screen, this adds a luxe feel to the bathroom.
The Buy2Let Shop
If you’re looking for a great buy-to-let property for sale, we’ve got a range of exclusive properties, at appealing prices. We’ll help you to find the perfect property investment in the UK, which will deliver solid yields and potential for capital growth – all within your budget. To learn more, visit The Buy2Let Shop website today.